Thursday 16 April 2009

Ipoh Anson chee cheong fun

I went to the sinseh - this time just purely for the Chinese massage /accupuncture (tui na) for my stiff neck and sprained wrist. This place is called Yu Guo Chinese Physician in Changi Road (near Kembangan MRT). My neck was actually getting better after the massage a few days ago, but it did not heal fast enough, plus I had just sprained my right wrist. He put me on the electrolysis machine for neck and hand and then gave me the massage with chinese medical oil. He turned and twisted my neck left and right and shoulders too, and all my bones went cracking loudly, putting them back into the right place again. Now my wrist is all wrapped up in bandage as well.

By the time I finished, as the weather was quite nice and cool, I walked around the vicinity searching for brunch. It was a neighbourhood with a mix of old shophouses as well as private residences - condominiums and landed property. The clinic was next to a huge drain (long kang) and condo. At first I thought of buying malay dishes back for my father as he loves spicy muslim food, but walking past the nearby indian stalls and seeing indian rojak, I changed my mind (hehe...). Saw a coffeeshop which was still not opened for business yet, with interesting rows of Heineken bottles filling the place. I crossed the road towards Telok Kurau side. I wondered how many people actually bothered to read the instructions at the traffic lights (that is, if you don't know HOW to cross a road in Singapore).

There were quite a few motorcycle repair shops along the old shophouses. And quite a few coffeeshops. I liked the array of colourful plastic chairs stacked high up side by side. And look at the bright yellow tiles belonging to a car workshop.

Passed by this crab place, I mean a restaurant selling crabs. I love the entire wall painted in red and adorned with real crab shells. Patrons had written reviews of their crabs on the shells. Interesting. Must try the "finger-licking good" crabs one of these days.

Saw another shop selling stones and tiles, there were so many tiles and boulders of all shapes and sizes that I wished I had a huge garden. Another shop was dealing with hardware was painted in white with 2 snow lions guarding the place. I also saw a traditional chinese pawnshop. I just loved the old contrasting small tiles with intricate designs on the wall and floor. The chinese character is called "dang" which means "pawn" in chinese. People still visit pawnshops to pawn away their valuables on a rainy day.

I finally decided on brunch at this shop. The sign said it was the original Ipoh Anson Chee Cheong Fun (steamed rice rolls) shop from Telok Anson in Ipoh. Well, I never heard about it, and Ipoh is famous for their kway teow and chee cheong fun, so I thought I had a try. I ordered their original Ipoh Anson Chee Cheong Fun. These were made of rice flour. The usual chee cheong fun we had outside was plain white with black sweet bean sauce and sesame seeds. Here, the chee cheong fun was wrapped with some ingredients. The blackish stuff was actually chopped turnips with dried shrimps (hae bi) with crispy shallots embedded in. It does not come drenched with sauce. The sauce was separate and the interesting part was it came with pickled green chilli too. There is also a spicy curry version which comes with chicken or pig skin with long beans.
One item in the menu caught my eyes, it was Salted Egg Meatballs. So I ordered that but was told it was finished! (they actually just opened shop, so I suspected the staff was too lazy to make these). Instead I ordered the Ngo Hiang (wrapped meat rolls). Their version was not crunchy (without turnip), just meat, shrimps, and some other stuff. I did not like this as I am used to our crunchy ones. I had to order the Ipoh White Coffee, it was super thick, creamy and milky coffee with a faint taste of vanilla. Nice! As I was alone, I did not think I could order more to try, like the curry chicken noodle, or fried char siew bee hoon, or the nasi lemak, and the different soya beancurd (good, I think I am becoming a smaller eater, hehehe). Overall, I would recommend you to try the chee cheong fun.

4 comments:

  1. I'm from Teluk Anson, this is our famous delicacy, however, i have never find anywhere to serve it as nice. Could you let me know the address for this place ? I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ah Siang

    The address is 324P, Changi Road (near Telok Kurau junction)
    Opening: 2.30am-5pm daily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great... thanks for this.

    Siang, try we must.

    Actually, Teluk Anson (or it's current name, Teluk Intan) is more than an hour's drive away from Ipoh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I'm craving big time for this Anson Chee Cheong Fun. Thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...